Kim's Blog

Kim's Blog

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Beauty in the Ashes - by Micalea Smeltzer

Book Review.    

Standalone Dark Contemporary Romance 




Some stories are a fairytale…but this isn’t one.
Caelan Gregory’s life fell apart the night he went home and opened the door to find his whole family murdered. Since then, his life has held no meaning. He’s angry. He’s bitter. He’s barely human anymore. There’s nothing left to remind him of the straight A student, and football quarterback he once was…but he wasn’t a good person then, and he’s certainly not a good person now. He’s retreated into a world where all that exists is numbness and his passion for painting.
When Sutton Hale moves into the apartment across the hall from Caelan she’s not prepared for her reaction to him. Something in his broken blue eyes calls to her—after all she’s always had an irrational need to fix everything.
But Caelan doesn’t do relationships or feelings. He does drugs and alcohol. However, he can’t ignore his desire to get to know the raven-haired woman across the hall.
Two broken souls trying to mend one another.
But not everything can be fixed.
In the end, Caelan and Sutton will have to learn that there is beauty in the ashes




I was gifted this copy of Beauty in the Ashes, and so in return I am writing an honest review.  This story starts out with a tragedy with Caelan and his family, this immediately had me hooked, pulled into this story in a way I had been missing for a long time.  This first chapter gave me the feeling that I was going to be drawn into this book and I was.  I am not a very fast ready, life just gets in my way sometimes so it took me a couple of days to read this book and I hated putting it down to deal with life.  As this story continues we find that Caelan is tortured and struggling with life, with alcohol and drug abuse, he is angry at everyone and hates dealing with people. Woman are only there to service a need, but never kept around.  When Sutton moves in to the apartment building just across the hall from Caelan, she soon discovers that she has a very unfriendly neighbor.
Sutton is running, running from her family and her past, she also has her demons that she doesn’t want to share with anyone.  But with that said, she see’s something in this angry neighbor of hers that she can’t deny.  This man that she cannot avoid or deny is slowly becoming a kinder and gentler soul with Sutton.  They share this unspoken bond that seems to give Caelan some comfort and peace that he greatly needs.  I was very intrigued and kept reading hoping the next page would reveal Sutton’s secret, this secret that she keeps from everyone.  Ultimately we find out this secret and how Sutton still continues to run from her past.  They embark on a friendship that gradually grows and the trust that they share is so moving.  Of course as we can figure out since we are reading a romance novel, Caelan and Sutton fall for each other in a way that is deep, very deep, I loved the story of these two and I only wanted their love to work out.  I will not say anything else about this story line or plot, because I hate spoilers.  I loved this story, I am sooo happy this book crossed my path and I decided to read it.  I will say this one is going on my top 10 books of 2014, I am recommending this one to anyone that will listen.  There are so many twist and turns, I thought how can this happen? Why is this happening? What are they going to do now? But it works, and I loved the outcome.  This will be a book that I read again.   I am giving this book 5 out of 5 stars.  I LOVED IT!!!!




Micalea Smeltzer



born
in The United States
September 07, 1993


gender
female


website


twitter username


genre


member since
November 2011




About this author

Micalea Smeltzer is a bestselling Young and New Adult author from Winchester, Virginia. She’s always working on her next book, and when she has spare time she loves to read and spend time with her family.


Goodreads

Amazon



No comments:

Post a Comment